Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cold

Sometimes when change happens you don't see it sneaking up on you. Like this current little trip, it's gotten me thinking. Thinking about all kinds of things.

So... I had a little business to attend to on a rimworld planet. Someone had some word on x0 and what she's alleged up to, and I thought I should check it out. After all, given my current rut, I figured a change of pace might be nice. You never know, there might even have been someone to shoot at, right?

Well, the trip turned into a wash. Old news, nothing of consequence... not worth the price of the fuel burned getting there. However, what was interesting was the weather. Yes, the weather.

See, there's something I've noticed. The weather in good ole Blackburne's pretty much the same, day in, day out. I ain't complaining, just noting it. And that flatline of temperature, it kind of gnaws away at a man, without him really realizing it. So, I walk out of the spaceport here, and bam! Icy cold breath on my face, and ice on the ground. The air almost literally kissed me welcome... I swear I felt the graze of its teeth on my neck, too.

I'm not one for the cold wastes. Nothing to eat, and nowhere to go. But this has really woken me up. I took a hike around the township, and it's quite something. Packed full of folk, full of hustle and bustle, wrapped up warm against the snow. I'll be back in Blackburne tonight, and I'm sure I'll still be able to feel it.

Strange, but welcome.

1 comment:

Garkuyan Koba said...

yep! The cold does that to all of us humanoids.